The name, black mold, is enough to put any homeowner on the edge. Mold is particularly common in areas of the home that are damp, humid and warm. It grows freely in crawlspaces and basements that have high levels of moisture.
Toxic black mold in Columbia MD 21045 is a type of fungus known to produce toxins that are harmful to your health. It is easily recognizable because of its color. While most other molds have a greenish or grayish appearance, toxic black mold is black as its name suggests.
Why you should be worried
Toxic black mold is dangerous because it produces toxins that can cause an array of health problems. When the molds have grown, they produce spores. These spores disperse easily in the air. When people inhale or ingest the spores, they can cause various dangerous symptoms in people.
One of the most common health effects of toxic black fungus is the development of respiratory problems. Spores that are inhaled can result in allergic reactions in those exposed. Symptoms of exposure to toxic black mold include:
- Chronic sneezing and coughing,
- Irritation of the mucus membranes in the throat and nose,
- Irritation of the eyes,
- Persistent headaches
- Chronic fatigue
Prolonged exposure to this toxic fungus can result in even more serious health effects. These health effects often become worse by the accompanying allergic reaction caused by exposure to the spores. Symptoms of prolonged exposure include:
- Bleeding in the lungs
- Nose bleeding
Getting rid of black mold in Columbia MD 20145
Getting rid of this fungus is often an expensive venture especially in cases where the mold has covered a large surface. It is important to note that cleaning the visible mold away will not really get rid of it completely. This fungus must be killed if you want to ensure that it does not continue to spread within your home.
Before you start the process of killing the fungi, ensure that you wear the right protective equipment. Wear gloves and protective clothing. Also, ensure that you wear a facemask or respirator to protect your lungs from spores.
- Ensure that you deal with the source of moisture. No amount of cleaning will prevent the growth of mold. Ensure that leaks are fixed and damp basements waterproofed.
- Use a bleach solution (bleach dissolved in water) to spray the surfaces where the molds have grown. Bleach is a readily available biocide.
You can also use a solution of borax to coat the affected area.
Having started in 1990, we boast expert staff members with collective experience in the industry going strong for over 50 years. We promise our clients superior workmanship and quality in basement waterproofing and foundation repair at budget-friendly prices, capped by a fantastic client experience to ensure your ultimate satisfaction.
We are a local and family-owned business committed to providing top-notch basement waterproofing service and workmanship. We are also actively involved in several non-profit projects for the betterment of our community. In 2020 we celebrated our 30th Anniversary.