Basement Mold Baltimore Did you know mold is a living organism? Gross! If that’s not unsettling enough to get you to take action, consider this: toxic basement mold can impair your memory, weaken your immune system, and raise your risk of heart disease and cancer!

So what can you do to safely minimize the harmful effects of toxic basement mold for you and your family? Well, the only way to permanently eliminate the possibility of mold growth is to identify and eliminate the source of excess moisture that’s being allowing into your home. This generally involves the help of a professional basement waterproofing company.

However, there are a few things non-toxic solutions you can implement RIGHT NOW to reduce the risk of exposure in the short term until you can put forth a long term solution. Traditionally, homeowners would use a 10% bleach solution to kill mold, but bleach can be very harmful as well.

This can be avoided by use a 5% solution of hydrogen peroxide. Pour 5% hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle, fill the rest with water, and spray directly onto the affected area(s) of the wall. (Be sure to wear a dust mask!) Once generously applied to the wall, let it sit for about 10-20 minutes, then scrub vigorously with a durable sponge. Repeat this on all affected areas once a week for 3 weeks, and you will have made a significant impact.

In addition, you may want to consider purchasing a few dehumidifiers from your local home improvement store, and place them throughout the basement. Remember, 60% relative humidity is all it takes for toxic black mold to grow, and it can begin to grow in as little as 24-48 hours!